Firstly, I need to acknowledge that this recipe is based largely on the recipe by Nigella Lawson found here: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/butternut-and-sweet-potato-soup-66
This soup is great for people on a low-sugar diet / diabetics who are craving something sweet and warming. I couldn't believe how sweet the end result actually was and searched the sugar content of sweet potato as I couldn't believe it wouldn't create and insulin spike! My husband's feedback was that he preferred it to Butternut and Orange soup :-)
- 350 grams diced butternut squash and sweet potato (from a packet / fresh)
- vegetable stock cube
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- good grinding of pepper
- Put a saucepan on to boil with approximately 750 ml of water.
- Put the diced butternut and sweet potato in the pan when they are prepped.
- Add the vegetable stock and both spices.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Add some pepper to taste.
- Puree the soup in a blender and serve!